Smart BMS 12-200
Protects the alternator against overload
The Smart BMS 12-200 is an all-in-one battery management (BMS) system for Victron Lithium Battery Smart 12,8 V batteries available with a nominal voltage of 12.8 V in various capacities. This is the safest of the mainstream lithium battery types. The maximum number of batteries in one system is 20, which results in a maximum energy storage of 84 kWh in a 12 V system. It has been specifically designed for 12 V systems with a 12 V alternator such as in vehicles and boats.
It combines a Current Limiter, Battery Combiner and Battery Protector in a robust and compact solution and lets you safely connect any size 12 V alternator (and starter battery) through its dedicated alternator connection. At the same time, it protects the alternator (and wiring), provides alternator current limiting and one-way traffic from the alternator into the battery, this so any size alternator (and starter battery) can be safely connected to the lithium battery and the starter battery is protected from excessive discharge. The Smart BMS 12-200 uses MOSFET switches, thus ignition proof.
- Alternator/Starter Batt port alternator and battery protection: The input current on the Alternator/Starter Batt port is electronically limited to approximately 90 % of the fuse rating. A 100 A fuse, for example, will therefore limit the input current to approximately 90 A and protects the lithium battery against excessive charge current and the alternator against overload (most 12 V alternators will overheat and fail if running at maximum output during more than 5 minutes).
- System power port to connect loads and additional chargers: Can be used to either charge or discharge the lithium battery (i.e. via an additional charger, an inverter or inverter/charger connected directly to this port) with a maximum continuous current of 200 A in both directions. Can also be used as a load output, thus DC loads can be connected directly to this port.
- Remote on/off terminal: Use it to interrupt charging via the Alternator port and charging and discharging via the System port while keeping the BMS functionality active, or as an on/off switch to turn off the system completely.
- Load and Charge disconnect output1): The Smart BMS 12-200 monitors and protects each individual battery cell within the battery and will disconnect the alternator, charge sources, or DC loads in case of low/high battery cell voltage or high temperature.
- Pre-Alarm output: Can be used to drive a relay, LED or Buzzer to issue a warning signal before the BMS disconnects the batteries from the system.